Harmony

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Thu Dec 6 17:09:05 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 16:10 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 30.11.2007 16:21, Richi Plana wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 09:20 +0100, Pix wrote:
> >> I understood that z00dax of centos.karan.org was in RPM repo.
> >> Funny thing is i'm hosting centos.karan.org just on the same server as
> >> rpm.livna.org and upcoming rpmfusion repo :)
> >> He's a good m8, if you want i can ask him to join/talk with us ?
> > That'd be great!
>
> In case anybody wonders: Pix tried that:
>
> [...]
> 14:23:26 <@     z00dax> | rpmfusion is a waste of time :D
> [...]
> 14:23:39 <@     z00dax> | its just an extention of the stupid fedora mindset
> [...]
> 14:23:52 <@     z00dax> | so, as far as i am concerned, its a waste of time
> [...]
>
> This is a free world and forking or having multiple concurrent projects
> doing similar things is IMHO a important thing in the open source world
> and nothing bad.
>
> So I'd say let's respect z00dax's and other peoples opinions (¹) and doings
> and continue with RPM Fusion as planed (²). Maybe sooner or later
> a cooperation evolves and a bit later there is another merger.

I agree, but could someone list down what they think is "stupid" of the
"Fedora mindset"? I've made my choice to stick it out with Fedora, but
after dwelling a while in the fedora-devel mailing list, I have to admit
that I DO have my share of misgivings, some of which, hopefully, will be
mitigated by third-party repos like RPM Fusion. Anyway, the point is, no
one improves who's not willing to admit inadequacies or failings. If
there's any point to z00dax's "stupid" comment, I'd like to hear it.

> (¹) -- reminder: please never ever call the guys from rpmrepo (or other repos)
> stupid or something similar. The people there are important part of the
> community and do a lot of good work. It's afaics normal in life that different
> groups of people have different options and goals; RPM Fusion and rpmrepo
> are just examples for that IMHO.

Amen! It's rather immature and counterproductive to do so, anyway.
--

Richi Plana