Fedora 3rd Party Repos

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Nov 3 17:48:24 CET 2007

On 03.11.2007 17:21, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 16:50 +0100, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
>> 	I've just added a page to the wiki to list many 3rd party Fedora
>> repositories:
>> http://rpmfusion.org/FedoraThirdPartyRepos
>> I hope that it will be useful to track previous packaging attempts or to
>> ask 3rd party maintainers to join RPM Fusion.
> Or, at the very least, to come up with packages which would allow
> multiple repo configurations to work well together.

If that would be that easy then it would have been done ages ago afaics :-/

The *in my humble opinion* only sane way that repo can be mixed is a
multilevel stacking system where nobody replaces anything with the repos
up in the dep chain and cooperates with them.

> It would be nice if
> all 3rd-party repos would join together to become one, but that's
> unlikely to happen.

Just as it's unlikely to happen that all distribution's merge. Actually
that is a good example IMHO, as there are people around for which
"Fedora + Repo1" is kind of a different distribution then stock Fedora
or "Fedora + Repo2" (especially if Repo? replaces packages from Fedora)

> It would be nice (to start) if there could be a master database that all
> 3rd-party repos could consult for their packages.

There were "package databases" in the past already. Didn't much help afaics.

> To see what might conflict with what.

That not that easy to find out. Not to mention that app foo works good
with lib bar from repo baz, but not with repo bar from repo foobar.

> Sort of like a distributed 3rd-party repo system.
> The bittorrent / p2p app system for 3rd-party Fedora apps, as it were.
> How about tacking on that proposal to the wiki and if someone with time
> and skill finds it interesting ...

Just my 2 cent: I don't think that's worth the work. With current RPM
and yum  only a defined stacking "one ontop of another without
replacements" works properly.

Cu