Linking to "third party repositories"

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 00:49:23 CET 2007

Il giorno sab, 10/11/2007 alle 16.08 -0700, Richi Plana ha scritto:
> Well, here's a what-if situation: What if Fedora made a reference to RPM
> Fusion's "free" repositories? According to Tom, "if someone asserted
> their patents against something in Livna, we would need to take the page
> down." If the repository that Fedora was referring to was the free one,
> it would separate itself from the non-free one and would lessen the
> likelihood that someone would assert their patents against it. So even
> if someone does that to the non-free repo, perhaps Fedora wouldn't have
> to take down its page since it's not referring to that one? (I'm
> assuming that it's the repository and not the organization legal is
> concerned with)

The free repo *is* the one that is supposed to have software with
potential patent problems:

"Free contains Free and Open Source Software (as defined by the Fedora
Packaging Guidelines) which can't be included in Fedora -- for example
because it might be patent encumbered in the USA. Nonfree contains non
Free and Open Source Software (as defined by the Fedora Licensing
Guidelines), for instance software with publicly available source code
which has some "no commercial use" restrictions or proprietary software
like the graphics drivers from ATI/AMD and Nvidia."

Bye,

Andrea.