[Merge Review] cinelerra

GMail kwizart kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:05:04 CET 2007

Hi!

Here is a merge review for cinelerra:
SRPMS:
http://kwizart.free.fr/fedora/8/SRPMS/cinelerra-2.1-0.14.svn20071111.kwizart.fc8.src.rpm
This package rich a usable state. (testing on the kwizart repository
available for F-8 ) But it may be even more improved...

This work is based on the cinelerra spec from FreshRPMS.

Cinelerra is built with ffmpeg-external. But for now, it is not aware of
swscale enabled ffmpeg... I think someone worked on a patch, but I don't
know the current status of this... I'm asking on the cinelerra ml...

Cinelerra recommended to use faad2 >= 2.5 (and wasn't aware of the
advertising issue...), so I do not expect problem building it with
2.6.1... (worked also with 2.0 )

Support for mmx/3dnow is disabled for x86_64 because I expect it to be
MMX32 only. This problem was only raised by the patch moving the lib
mpeg2dec from static built to shared build. (with a different SONAME
than the mjpegtools-libs package - But I haven't checked if it can be
used instead of the internal lib).

Libtoolame, (same as mpeg2dec) cinelerra claims to use it own version...
I've swiched from static build to shared build. But I wonder if it could
use an external package for toolame... upstream toolame wasn't updated
since 2003 and I don't know if others projects are still using it for
mpeg2 audio encoding...

Moving tools from mplexlo mplexlo.hv (as described with included spec)
This will allow to have tools installed without conflicting
libmpeg3-utils...

Fonts : moved from _libdir/cinelerra/fonts to _datadir/cinelerra/fonts
Removed already provided fonts
added post postun section...

Raising kernel shmmax . The maximum shared memory value need to be
raised to run cinelerra... (if not raised, a warning is displayed and
cinelerra is unstable...). I've echoed this line in /etc/rc.local in
install and this will be removed on uninstall..
echo "0x7fffffff">/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
I'm not very pleased with this hack, but it work fine... If you have
another advice about how to deal with this...?

Two patches were reported upstream:
http://www.pipapo.org/gitweb?p=cinelerra/mob;a=commit;h=0f76346bd2a235108fe2e74086b6d804bb0081f8
http://www.pipapo.org/gitweb?p=cinelerra/mob;a=commit;h=88e99c04955c5a7e052c78c38fed61c30f1572dc

Might be improved:
- See if we can use an external package for toolame
- See if we could use mpeg2decpp from mjpegtools instead of the internal one
- See if ffmpeg-swscale support can be enabled (need a patch)