Working on a dvbcut package - needs ffmpeg - linking problems

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 17 05:41:47 CET 2007

Hi, I'm new to rpmfusion {though I have package a simple app - glglobe -
for fedora}. I am keen to get dvbcut into rpmfusion since it wouldn't
suit fedora.

I started trying to build the .spec from scratch, with lots of problems.
A suse packman package {with patches} has helped get me to at least
starting the build. Now I'm stuck with linking problems. A post to
fedora-list [1] yielded a hint about ffmpeg version incompatibility, but
I probably need to step back for a moment.

The application introduced it's own version of ffmpeg a while ago - and
has been getting patched without {from what I can tell} patches moving
upstream.

In an effort to compile, I have tried the:
freshrpms, livna and atrpms f7 ffmpeg packages to build against, but no
further progress.

So: some queries:
1. Ideally I want to build against rpmfusion's version which is yet to
exist {FromWAKTell}. Clearly there is some things to sort out first [2],
with the new pckage to be based on livna's. Is it wise to invest time
trying to build against livna's current F7 version ? or F8 ?

2. Since the application source includes a separate ffmpeg, should I
just try to package and separately build that as a requires for dvbcut ?
ie would a package with repeated functionality be included in rpmfusion ?

3. Would it be worth trying to determine diffs between the included
ffmpeg and the other repo's version / patches. Perhaps the included
version has suitable patches.

4. There is a lot of dvbcut source changes that could be made to
eliminate deprecated functions warnings, and in fact the newest ffmpeg
actually removes some of those deprecated functions. Would not patching
those problems lead to a negative appraisal from rpmfusion ?

Also, by installing the packman binary package onto F7 with --nodeps
{has different package names for ffmpeg, qt3 etc requires}, but with the
F7 releases installed, the app works fine. Does this give any clues for
developing a Fedora/fusion package ?

David Timms.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-November/msg02394.html

[2]