Hosting and repo layout

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Oct 15 11:48:32 CEST 2007

Matthias Saou wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote :
>
>> This is what it would look like when we want to replicate the Fedora
>> layout (example only for el5 and Fedora 8/development; both only i386 to
>> keep things simple):
>> .
>> `-- free
>>     |-- el
>>     |   |-- 5
>>     |   |   `-- i386
>>     |   |       |-- all_the.rpms
>>     |   |       `-- repodata
>>     |   `-- testing
>>     |       `-- 5
>>     |           `-- i386
>>     |               |-- all_the.rpms
>>     |               `-- repodata
>>     `-- fedora
>>         |-- development
>>         |   `-- i386
>>         |       `-- os
>>         |           `-- repodata
>>         |-- releases
>>         |   `-- 8
>>         |       |-- AddOn
>>         |       |   `-- addon.i386.iso
>>         |       |-- Everything
>>         |       |   `-- i386
>>         |       |       `-- os
>>         |       |           |-- all_the.rpms
>>         |       |           `-- repodata
>>         |       |-- Live
>>         |       |   `-- coolspin.i386.iso
>>         |       `-- RPMFusion
>>         |           `-- i386
>>         |               |-- iso
>>         |               |   `-- rpmfusion_spin.iso
>>         |               `-- os
>>         |                   |-- repodata
>>         |                   `-- subset_of_everything.rpms
>>         `-- updates
>>             |-- 8
>>             |   `-- i386
>>             |       |-- all_the.rpms
>>             |       `-- repodata
>>             `-- testing
>>                 `-- 8
>>                     `-- i386
>>                         |-- all_the.rpms
>>                         `-- repodata
>> Benefits:
>>  - people are used to the layout
>>  - room for spins, add-on CDs
>> Disadvantage:
>>  - might be more complicated than actually needed
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Why "free" (and I suppose another similar tree for nonfree) at the
> root? I'd prefer to not separate free/nonfree completely, just users
> enable or disable either easily, and mirror admins be able to exclude
> "nonfree" and be done with it. Making them be two completely separate
> trees/websites/etc will only make things overly complex for nothing.

Actually those won't be seperated at the root dir, but even higher at the
domain-names AFAIK, the whole idea of the split is to have something for Fedora
to point at which is 101% Fedora guidelines compatible except for patents. This
should be separated at such a level that users will only see the free part when
following the fedora link. Sure we can have something like part of the
rpmfusion project on there, which will link to the main rpmforge page, but
there needs to be a distinct seperation of the repo's and a seperate (mockup)
website for the free repo. This is all done in the hope that Fedora's lawyers
will actually allow pointing to patented software in the light of recent High
Court verdicts in the US. AFAIK Rahul is loby-ing for this to happen.

Regards,

Hans