Hosting and repo layout

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Oct 15 12:21:23 CEST 2007

On 15.10.2007 11:51, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote :
>
>> This is what it would look like when we want to replicate the Fedora
>> layout (example only for el5 and Fedora 8/development; both only i386 to
>> keep things simple):
>> .
>> `-- free
>>     |-- el
>>     |   |-- 5
>>     |   |   `-- i386
>>     |   |       |-- all_the.rpms
>>     |   |       `-- repodata
>>     |   `-- testing
>>     |       `-- 5
>>     |           `-- i386
>>     |               |-- all_the.rpms
>>     |               `-- repodata
>>     `-- fedora
>>         |-- development
>>         |   `-- i386
>>         |       `-- os
>>         |           `-- repodata
>>         |-- releases
>>         |   `-- 8
>>         |       |-- AddOn
>>         |       |   `-- addon.i386.iso
>>         |       |-- Everything
>>         |       |   `-- i386
>>         |       |       `-- os
>>         |       |           |-- all_the.rpms
>>         |       |           `-- repodata
>>         |       |-- Live
>>         |       |   `-- coolspin.i386.iso
>>         |       `-- RPMFusion
>>         |           `-- i386
>>         |               |-- iso
>>         |               |   `-- rpmfusion_spin.iso
>>         |               `-- os
>>         |                   |-- repodata
>>         |                   `-- subset_of_everything.rpms
>>         `-- updates
>>             |-- 8
>>             |   `-- i386
>>             |       |-- all_the.rpms
>>             |       `-- repodata
>>             `-- testing
>>                 `-- 8
>>                     `-- i386
>>                         |-- all_the.rpms
>>                         `-- repodata
>> Benefits:
>>  - people are used to the layout
>>  - room for spins, add-on CDs
>> Disadvantage:
>>  - might be more complicated than actually needed
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Why "free" (and I suppose another similar tree for nonfree) at the
> root?

Because I'm a idiot. I actually wanted

pub/
pub/free/
pub/nonfree/

and then export pub/free/ via free.rpmfuison.org and pub/nonfree/ via
nonfree.rpmfuison.org as you you suggested in a earlier mail. But I
missed that in the mail accidentally. Sorry.

> [...]
> The other thing we need to be sure about before deciding on the tree is
> if we want to have a frozen "release" set of packages, known to be
> compatible with the original CD/DVD images plus updates, or if we want
> to be a moving target, only compatible with release+updates, possibly
> making our repositories incompatible with the original CD/DVD images at
> some point, unless users also enable updates at install time.

That why I brought that topic up weeks ago already ;-)

> I'd prefer going with a frozen "release" set of packages, from which we
> can also later make a CD or DVD image, to make it possible to install
> RPM Fusion packages on computers which aren't connected to the network.

+1