kmods/dkms for gspca

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Oct 17 14:13:34 CEST 2007

Jonathan Dieter wrote :

> Just wondering what we decided the policy was on kmods/dkms.  I'd like
> to start packaging gspca (drivers for a bunch of webcams) whose the
> author hasn't been real keen on getting into the kernel.

I'd say the policy is currently unclear. I don't really care about the
outcome, as long as packagers are committed to their kernel modules if
they go into the repository (i.e. quickly fix breakage with recent
kernels if any).

The approach of having both kmod and dkms packages for all kernel
modules provided might be nice in order to let end-users choose which
pain they want to deal with :-)

Matthias

PS: I already provide dkms-gspca on freshrpms FWIW.

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.22.6-81.fc7
Load : 0.64 0.42 0.45