bsnes and static libraries

David Juran david at juran.se
Wed Feb 13 19:29:11 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 15:34 +0100, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you might already know, I submitted bsnes for review a while ago [1].
> One of the issues pointed out is that it uses its own copies of system
> libs - ntsc filter, zip and jma, possibly others. I did contact the
> author a while ago (regarding zip), and he said that local zip copy is
> needed for windows. I guess he does not really care.
> On the other hand, I think that if the usage of system-wide libs could
> be conditionalised in an easy and transparent way, he would not mind a
> patch. I can't prepare it myself (I cannot code), but if someone
> prepares such patch, I am willing to push it upstream - otherwise we
> cannot use it since the license is quite restrictive. We can as well
> ignore the problem and leave the situation as is. What do you think?

I think ignoring the problem is not an option. Private copies of system
libraries is seriously un-cool, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#head-17396a3b06ec849a7c0c6fc3243673b17e5fed90 I've just attached a patch to Bz 15 which makes bsnes use the system zlib (it builds but that's as far as I've tested it) but IMHO the same thing should be done for the other included libs included libs as well.

/David