akmod vs. kmod

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jun 28 19:22:41 CEST 2008

On 15.06.2008 18:48, Richi Plana wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.

> I've noticed that in livna, there are two kernel modules available for
> nvidia: akmod-nvidia and kmod-nvidia. Are they exclusive of each other
> (iow, only one should be installed on a system)?

Nope.

> My understanding is
> that akmods are compiled whenever any new kernel is installed. Is that
> correct?

akmod packages contain the kernel module sources and a RPM Spec file (a
kmod src.rpm to be precise); the akmods scripts will use this to compile
a kmod that gets installed automatically

> Are there instructions on how to use akmods? (ie. when to
> update kernels and when to reboot)

/me tends to say "Just do it."

Normally it should "just work" by installing a akmod package; the kmods
will then get build on kernel install or during startup on the next reboot

 > [...]

HTH