Next steps to get RPM Fusion running (V2)

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Mon Nov 3 12:05:30 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 09:06:20AM +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:
>>> - back a few weeks ago you iirc said that we need to be able to
>>> adjust  DNS quickly in case the machine goes down; that's not solved
>>> yet
>>
>> No, it is not. We need a another machine running the mirrorlist which
>> would then get the necessary data from the main mirrormanager instance.
>> And in a case of a failure we need someone who can changes the DNS entry
>> very fast.
>
> Why not having a second mirrormanager running on another machine and
> have in DNS 2 A records?

I just tested it and it works. I had two entries in DNS; one pointing to
a not existing host and another to an existing. Depending on the answer
from the DNS yum first connects to the existing host and everything just
works. If it connects to the non existing host it times out and then
goes to the existing host. I am surprised that it works.

If we do that, some users might get a short timeout using yum, but it
seems like it should work.

The important thing is then to keep the data the same on both hosts,
which should be possible if the cronjobs updating the mirrorlist are
updated at roughly the same time.

So if everybody is okay with it I would then say let's run the second
mirrorlist instance at Oliver's server...

		Adrian