Next steps to get RPM Fusion running (V2)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Nov 5 14:09:37 CET 2008

On 04.11.2008 20:21, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:40:39 +0100, Adrian Reber wrote:
>>> But I think I know why: The Debug directory in
>>> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/development/i386/
>>> was missing until yesterday, as our push script puts the debuginfo files to
>>> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/development/i386/os/debug
>>> I created a symlink in the place where mirrormanager likely expect it to
>>> be. That way the directory structure also matches the one from Fedora.
>> Unfortunately symlinks are not good enough. Could the push
>> scripts be changed so that the layout matches the one from Fedora?

See below.

>> Or hardlinked files would also work...
> I would advise against using too many manually created links.

And you are very right with that. Nevertheless I did them and they
mostly did the trick up to now:

> Better patch the scripts to support the "os" subdir where necessary
 > (or make the repo paths more customisable).

Fully agreed, but my python skills are not good enough to do that (I
really wanted/want to improve my programming skills, but all the other
Fedora work keeps me/kept me completely busy over the past few years
:-/). I just work with the scripts and set them up as somebody just had
to do it to get things running :-/

That, btw, was one of the reasons why I send a mail to this list many
months ago where I said: I don't want to do infrastructure work -- I
just do it as it seems somebody has to do it to get things running. But
nobody stepped up to help, hence I continued to do the best I can.

So how to move forward? I'd suggest this: If you are a trusted
packager/contributor and if you have python skills to work on this let
me know and I'll try to get access to the machine in question organized.
The "trusted" part is a bit important here, as that's the machine where
plague runs/where the master repo is hosted ;-)

Michael, you of course would be the best for that job. But I got the
impression that you don't want to get involved to deep into RPM Fusion,
hence I never wanted to ask you to take care of things like this.

Note: I'm not sure how much work we want to spend on the push scripts at
all, as we hopefully sooner or later switch to koji and bodhi.

Cu