News page in the Wiki

Chris Nolan chris at cenolan.com
Sun Nov 9 17:27:29 CET 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> I mostly agree. But the Wiki has one (IMHO big) advantage over a
> (wordpress) blog: You can subscribe to a page and the information
> comes to you by mail; you don't have to go and check yourself (or let
> the RSS reader check) if there is something new ;-)

There are plugins for wordpress that allow a user to signup and be
notified by email when a new post is made. If that kind of thing floats
your boat ;)

> And it has another benefit (which also can be a disadvantage):
> Everybody has automatically access to it immediately.

It would be interesting to see whether we could integrate wordpress with
FAS so that people within a certain group in FAS have automatic access
to post on wordpress - this may be better than yet another
username/password, but equally its no show-stopper if it can't be
achieved. (I've no idea how easy/difficult it is to integrate external
systems with FAS?)

>> If you are interested on setting up wordpress I can help.
>
> I for one have enough on my todo list already. But I'd be really glad
> if somebody else could work on something like that.

I'd also be happy to help host/setup a blog for rpmfusion. I have good
experience with wordpress - PHP is more my realm than packaging!

If FAS allows some kind of API for login/group verification then I'm
fairly confident I can hack together a wordpress plugin that uses this
to authenticate users.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?