Status of RPM Fusion for EL

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Nov 9 19:35:11 CET 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> - gstreamer-plugins-{bad,ugly} -- lost track here; last mail on that
> topic iirc was this:
> http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2008-September/001003.html
>
> Hans, do you want to work on that? Is somebody else interested to drive
> this forward (and coordinate with Hans)?

I don't have much time for this, more importantly I won't be making much use of
this, therefore I would like to co-maintain this with someone who does use RHEL
on the desktop, and thus is likely to notice problems before end users do.

I've been doing some research and RHEL-5.3 is going to muddy the water here.
5.0 -> 5.2 have gstreamer + gstreamer-plugins-base at 0.10.9, RHEL-5.3 moves
those to 0.10.20. So for RHEL-5.3 we can and I guess should be shipping a much
newer gstreamer-plugings-*, but we dont have any way todo that. So we have 2
1) Use old gstreamer-plugins-* as base, which are known to work with gstreamer
    + gstreamer-plugins-base
2) Try to use new gstreamer-plugins-* as base and patch them where they rely on
    new gstreamer + gstreamer-plugins-base exported functions to do things the
    old way. This also has the problem, that some plugins have moved from bad ->
    good, and those are not in the old good. We can then just forget about
    those, or do a gstreamer-plugins-good-extras with them in.

Neither way is going to be pretty nor easy.

Regards,

Hans