Status of RPM Fusion for EL

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 10 09:10:39 CET 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 09.11.2008 19:35, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> - gstreamer-plugins-{bad,ugly} -- lost track here; last mail on that
>>> topic iirc was this:
>>> http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2008-September/001003.html
>>> Hans, do you want to work on that? Is somebody else interested to
>>> drive this forward (and coordinate with Hans)?
>> I don't have much time for this, more importantly I won't be making
>> much use of this, therefore I would like to co-maintain this with
>> someone who does use RHEL on the desktop, and thus is likely to notice
>> problems before end users do.
>
> Just a note: I'm not using RHEL on my desktop either (but CentOS 5 is on
> my gf's machine), so I don't feel really well to take those two over.
>
>> I've been doing some research and RHEL-5.3 is going to muddy the water
>> here. 5.0 -> 5.2 have gstreamer + gstreamer-plugins-base at 0.10.9,
>> RHEL-5.3 moves those to 0.10.20. So for RHEL-5.3 we can and I guess
>> should be shipping a much newer gstreamer-plugings-*, but we dont have
>> any way todo that.
>
> /me wonders if he missed something
>
> /me reads again
>
> /me got lost
>
> Ehhh. Sorry, but why don't we have any way to do that? EPEL ignored the
> Z-Streams, thus we likely need to do the same. So where is the problem?
> I'd say we get bad and ugly 0.10.9 in now and update to 0.10.20 when 5.3
> comes out.

If we do that then 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 users will not be able to install those
gstreamer packages, as these will Require the newer gstreamer packages from
RHEL-5.3, if that is ok with EPEL's guidelines, then I'm all for it.

I would find this strange though. If instead we create packages which work with
the ancient gstreamer in RHEL 5.0 - 5.2, those will *also* work with RHEL 5.3,
but doing so is going to be a major PITA.

> /me still wonders if he missed something

I hope this explains it better, also please keep in mind I'm a complete EPEL noob.

Regards,

Hans