Status of RPM Fusion for EL

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:27:48 CET 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> And I think it makes the most sense, as the Z-Streams/the Extended
> Update Support (EUS) (e.g. update support for 5.1 after 5.2 is out)
> are only done for certain releases, only for a shorter lifespan and
> only if you pay extra for them iirc. Hence the bulk of users always
> will be on the latest release of a RHEL family (RHEL4, RHEL5).

Well, that's not true. Lots of customers stick to older point releases
sometimes because they need to do a large amount of inhouse testing
before deploying new updates (complex interactions between custom build
software etc) and sometimes because ISV's certify against point releases
and so on.  However EPEL/ RPMFusion needs to weight the benefit of
supporting such customers. Atleast, for a while, it probably is a good
idea not to spread our resources too thin.

Rahul