Make sure your packages are listed in comps.xml

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Nov 16 09:34:40 CET 2008

On 16.11.2008 09:11, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> 2008/11/16 Linus Walleij <triad at df.lth.se>:
>> I added in a new group for sound emulators (in nonfree F10), put
>> "sidplay" in it and took the liberty to also add in "uade" there.
> Isn't "Sound and Video" a better group for these?

I was just about to write something like that (see also below). So I
took the chance remove the "sound emulators" group and added a "Sound
and Video" group.

Also note that the group definition was incomplete ;-) Groups that are
not defined in Fedora need a little bit more (see the bottom of Fedora's
comps.xml files for details). And defining a group just for two packages
IMHO is definitely not a good idea.

> I remember that all
> the emulators were in a group of their own, now they are in the
> standard "Games and Entertainment". Probably there was a reason to do
> it in this way.

There were mainly two reasons:

- we have no translators, hence all group that we define on our own will
show up as English in anaconda, yum, PackageKit, ...

- I feared that adding groups might create even more trouble to get the
anaconda support working

We can test the latter now that we know it works in general. But the
first point is still valid. I think it alone is a good enough reason to
try very hard *not* to add groups on our own.

>> Unsure about "lha" and "unace", shouldn't these be in the system tools
>> as well?
> I agree

Added.

> and I think that lha should have type="default".

Is lha really still that common? But whatever: marked as default.

Cu