suns' java leagal issues

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 02:24:26 CET 2008

--- On Mon, 11/17/08, Conrad Meyer  wrote:

> Just a guess -- I'd guess there's a either a
> "no redistribution"
> or "non-commercial only" redistribution clause,
> either of which is a no go.

"non-commercial only" is a restriction on the "freedom" of the software. I don't think this causes a problem with putting it into the "non-free" repo. We already have "non-commercial only" software in the "non-free" repo.

Well, we have to read Sun's user agreement to see if it is OK to redistribute it. If it allows redistribution I vote for distributing the RPM in rpmfusion.

Btw, I recently checked adobe's flash agreement. That one definitely forbids redistribution.

-oget