suns' java leagal issues

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 02:53:21 CET 2008

--- On Mon, 11/17/08, Conrad Meyer  wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 05:32:07 pm Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > Here are the license texts:
> > JRE:
> > http://java.sun.com/javase/6/jre-6u10-license.txt
> > JDK:
> > http://java.sun.com/javase/6/jdk-6u10-license.txt
> >
> > Part B's are about redistribution. They allow
> > redistribution provided that
> > there are no modifications.
>
> I'd imagine putting it into an RPM counts as
> modification.

Let's go through the requirements one-by-one ("Software" refers to Sun's Java):

(i) you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and
only bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running,
your Programs,

The Software won't be modified. We are just going to put a wrap around their tarball.

(ii) the Programs add significant and primary functionality to
 the Software,

This is definitely satisfied. Out of question.

(iii)
you do not distribute additional software intended to
replace any component(s) of the Software,

We are not going to distribute additional software to replace
Sun's Java.

(iv) you do not remove or alter any proprietary legends or
notices contained in the Software,

Quite doable.

(v) you only distribute the Software
subject to a license agreement that protects Sun's interests
consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement, and

Actually, we'll put the very same license text in the RPM

(vi) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors
from and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement
amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred
in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third
party that arises or results from the use or distribution of
any and all Programs and/or Software.

We won't really "damage" anything that is in their tarball.
As I said, we'll just put a "gift wrap" around it :)

-oget