the libdvdcss issue

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 18 07:14:38 CET 2008

On 18.11.2008 00:33, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> I'd like to bring up the topic once again. I've been discussing it with
> Nicolas

Is there really something to discuss? As mentioned in some other mails
earlier: Livna is there, Livna will provide libdvdcss for the forseeable
future (that will include F10,) Livna is well known and Livna's key is
trusted. So I say we continue to use Livna (we likely could also use
freshrpms, if we prefer; or even both) as building something new really
seems just like wasted time and effort to me.

> and noticed that both rpmfusion.pl and rpmfusion.fr domains are
> free. Nicolas said he could arrange for hosting libdvdcss in France under
> such domain and so could I, in Poland. Is it OK if we use the RPMFusion
> name for that purpose or isn't it?

Strong -1 from my side -- that just creates confusion and could easily
backfire.

> IIRC someone said earlier that some people wouldn't contribute to RPMFusion
> if it was in any way associated with distribution of libdvdcss, but never
> mentioned any names or what these contributors would bring to RPMFusion.
>
> Frankly I'm a bit tired of this game, but I'm willing to do whatever
> I can to provide users with complete DVD playback capability.
> So what CAN I do?

Simply do nothing. Or do you have a problem with leaving Livna running
just for libdvdcss?

If we want to create another repository that we IMHO should talk to the
tigro maintainer (see http://tigro.info/ and
http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/tigro/9/x86_64/ ) and try to convince him
to become a official add-on repository for RPM Fusion (e.g. no
replacements from Fedora or RPM Fusion), as he seems to be willing to
take packages that are normally not redistributable (flash-player; sun's
java).