the libdvdcss issue

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 18 09:43:05 CET 2008

On 18.11.2008 09:28, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 18.11.2008 00:33, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>>> IIRC someone said earlier that some people wouldn't contribute to
>>> RPMFusion
>>> if it was in any way associated with distribution of libdvdcss, but never
>>> mentioned any names or what these contributors would bring to RPMFusion.
>>>
>>> Frankly I'm a bit tired of this game, but I'm willing to do whatever
>>> I can to provide users with complete DVD playback capability.
>>> So what CAN I do?
>> Simply do nothing. Or do you have a problem with leaving Livna running
>> just for libdvdcss?
> Erm, 2 things:
>
> 1) lately livna has been slowly falling apart, of thats been fixed I'm all for
> using livna, if not ...

No, it's not really "fixed". But that is afaics not needed -- it just
one package that needs is not updates much. So it can be simply build in
mock on some random system; older versions can stay in the repo, as they
don't take much space; pushed can be done manually.

IOW: SVN, plague, push-scripts are not really needed for such a minimal
Livna repo.

> 2) we still need to make this work seamlessly for end users, so if we do this I
> vote for putting a .repo file pointing to livna in rpmfusion-nonfree-release

I strongly vote against that. If I as user install a package foo-release
then I expect it to only install repo files for the repo "foo" and not
for random other 3rd party repos I might never have heard of or which I
might not want. And something like that could backfire on us/taint us
easily as well.

What I OTOH would like to see is would be some kind of small GUI that
you can use to enable other repos. That GUI could download and install
the release packages that those repos provide (hence the app needs to be
aware of the URLs to those release rpms), as long as those repos are
known to be compatible with RPM FUsion -- e.g. Livna, Google, Adobe's
repo, ...

Sure, that bears risks for us as well, but the risk is much much lower.
And it solves the problem for users that want the Google and Adobe
software as well, which would be a huge benefit.