the libdvdcss issue

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Tue Nov 18 13:27:01 CET 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Also this seems to be an ever sliding issue, first we would ship it despite the
> concerns of a few, then you changed your mind and I and others reluctantly
> agreed, but we also agreed we would come up with some seamless integration
> solution. And now we are also slipping from the seamless integration solution
> to some horrible convoluted hack. I'm very unhappy about this. Esp. about how
> you seem to keep coming back upon made decisions.

Agreed. I find it a bit woeful as well that we're reneging on decisions we
made during the forming of rpmfusion.
On the other hand, Thorsten is doing much much much more work for rpmfusion then
I've ever done. Thus I'm inclined to just shut up and accept it.

> And Fedora Legal actually has cleared doing that (linking to rpmfusion from the
> wiki), this is something which still has to be implemented, but the permission
> is there. This was one of the main reasons to do the free / non-free split, to
> give Fedora something it can link to without even giving the appearance of
> promoting non free software.

Do not forget that one of the main reasons for fusion was the plan to
implement the Fedora + 1 repository concept for all software needs.
Right now we're probably at Fedora + rpmfusion + livna + adobe...
That's at least one, possibly two to many.

regards,
 andreas