suns' java leagal issues

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Nov 18 13:38:15 CET 2008

manuel wolfshant wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>>

>> AFAIK Sun's JDK is (almost) the same as OpenJDK.
>>
> "almost" but not identical. A colleague of mine cannot use Yahoo Games
> with openjdk-plugin from EPEL, while it works without problems with
> Sun's (rebuilt by me using jpackage.org
> java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.10-1jpp.nosrc.rpm)

It does not matter:
1) We do not replace Fedora packages
2) We do not replace Fedora packages
3) Yes we could use alternatives, but that still feels wrong, as we would be
promoting a closed solution where a very viable open solution exits
4) ok, 3 is debatable, but we do not have a license allowing us to ship sun's
jdk, *end of discussion*

Regards,

Hans