the libdvdcss issue

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:38:30 CET 2008

Hello!

2008/11/18 Richard Körber <rpmfusion at ml.shredzone.de>:

>> Just ignore that issue. We should satisfy the majority's needs, and
>> the majority of Fedora users (obviously) needs DVD playback (as well
>> as other patents/crypto stuff). If that guy(s) stops contributing -
>> that's not a problem at all. We easily find someone who will
>> contribute instead.
>
> In a lot of countries it would not be allowed to link to RPMfusion
> (or probably even mention its name) if RPMfusion offers software to
> circumvent copy protection.

Not an issue. People should complain to their governments. There are
tons of prohibitions all around the world - we have no moral rights to
obey all these laws (therefore supporting different kinds of
censorship).

> The bottom line is: RPMfusion will not just lose some contributors, but
> will lose a lot of free advertisement and public attention.

What countries have laws which prohibits mentioning addresses of
web-servers? Just curious. Even ThePirateBay can be named in wast
majority of countries.

> For me it means that if RPMfusion is offering software that is illegal in
> Germany, I will stop blogging about it in fedorablog.de and remove the
> package lists from repowatch.fedorablog.de. You can blame me for being a
> sissy, but I see no other option for me.

What about news about ThePirateBay  in German newspapers? Also, I'm
just curious. In any case - feel free to stop advertising RPMFusion if
it potentially could hurt you. However I still see no reasons to obey
your country's laws. If we'll decide to remove all restricted (in some
countries) software from RPMFusion when I see no reason why to abandon
Livna in favor of less-functional castrated repository?

BTW I probably can find you good hosting in Russia, where you can hide
your identity from your country's RIAA/MPAA. Looks like despite of all
moves of our Russian government against our opposition, we still live
on more free country than you, in Europe (at least we allowed to free
talk).

> To the people who are responsible for RPMfusion: Please make up your mind,
> and then make an official and irrevocable (!) commitment pro or contra
> libdvdcss.

Agree.

People in free countries need to know whether they need to create (and
work on) their local repositories or we may rely on RPMFusion.

I personally afraid that after removing libdvdcss, there will be
another one restricted in some particular country library or utility,
and another one, and another one...

--
With best regards!