the libdvdcss issue

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Nov 18 14:06:46 CET 2008

On Tuesday, 18 November 2008 at 12:24, Richard Körber wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I thought only distribution of unauthorized binaries that allow you
> > to access CSS-obfuscated content was illegal in some countries,
> > but please feel free to point me to an article of law that says that
> > playback of a legally purchased DVD is a crime, too.
>
> §95a UrhG ( http://dejure.org/gesetze/UrhG/95a.html )
>
> It states that it is not allowed to circumvent a copy protection without
> approval of the copyright holder, in order to gain access to the content.

It only speaks about effective measures. CSS is not an effective measure:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070525-finland-court-breaking-ineffective-copy-protection-is-permissible.html
And even if we assume it is, posession and use is only forbidden for commercial
purposes, so you can use libdvdcss in the comfort of your home for personal
playback.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."