the libdvdcss issue

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 14:38:39 CET 2008

Hi,

> It's not just about contributors. It's also about bloggers,
> wikis and press. In a lot of countries it would not be allowed
> to link to RPMfusion (or probably even mention its name) if
> RPMfusion offers software to circumvent copy protection.

please name these countries

- you refer to the mail archive, ok, Germany was mentioned(*), so
it is the first one on the list, and what are the others?

if you can't, stop saying "a lot of ..."

(*) without any exact reference, just that some newspaper was
sued for something which was not even remotely quoted

> The bottom line is: RPMfusion will not just lose some
> contributors, but will lose a lot of free advertisement and
> public attention. Is this price really worth to keep one
> single RPM package with no dependencies, that can be easily
> installed with a one-liner from somewhere else?

as Peter said, what "single RPM package with no dependencies,
that can be easily installed with a one-liner from somewhere
else" will be the next?

and what about taking it the other way round, is it worth to lose
encrypted DVD support for all our users which brings us a lot of
public attention, is this price really worth to keep one single
country in the set of contributors?

> To the people who are responsible for RPMfusion: Please make
> up your mind, and then make an official and irrevocable (!)
> commitment pro or contra libdvdcss.

I second that ... but ... who is that?
do we have any structure like Fedora has? - I do not see anything
on the wiki

K.