the libdvdcss issue

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Nov 18 16:52:48 CET 2008

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 2008/11/18 Andreas Thienemann <andreas at bawue.net>:
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>>> Sure, the latter is a bit more complicated, but imho it's the right
>>> thing to do, especially as the user might do something that is illegal
>>> in his country.
>> I do not consider it our job to prevent people doing illegal acts.
>
> +1

I am swayed by that argument, but this is a special case.

I'm still very concerned over issues around
1.  fedora being able to refer to rpmfusion
or the more general:
2.  journalists/websites cannot mention rpmfusion either
or even
3.  losing rpmfusion contributors

I feel any or all of these probably trump the issue, imo.

Blarg, I've said my piece, so I'll shut up now.

(wishlist/todo:  create a FAQ on the wiki for this very issue, so we
don't need to rehash/rediscuss it every few weeks). :)

-- Rex