suns' java leagal issues

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Nov 18 19:05:40 CET 2008

مؤيد السعدي wrote:

> we don't have a license to modify sun's
> but we have a license to distribute it
> I only request packing it in a proper way that
> 1. yum enabled repo

+1

> 2. sane "provides" to satisfy fedora's package requests (like netbeans)
> 3. does not break or replace any thing (instead it should use alternatives)

Satisfying 2,3 may be quite a task.  Given that (and a package review),
it is worthy for nonfree.

That said, openjdk really is very close to being usable for all/most
java usecases... the effort may well be better spent fixing the
remaining issues there instead.  But, you're free to spend your
time/efforts as you wish.

-- Rex