what's the purpose of rpmfusion

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Nov 21 08:20:50 CET 2008

On 21.11.2008 00:48, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2008 03:29:10 pm Farkas Levente wrote:
>> after the libdvdcss discussion it'd be useful to define the purpose of
>> rpmfusion. first of all imho it's a good thing to merge repos (even
>> further rpmfusion and rpmforge would be nice).

Feel free to get a discussion rolling. But note, there are a lot of
problems that need to be solved for that to happen. The biggest one:
Rpmrepo/Rpmforge contains quite a bit of software that is suitable for
Fedora/EPEL. RPM Fusion OTOH doesn't want to compete with Fedora/EPEL,
hence we normally would prefer that software goes to Fedora/EPEL.

Further: I tend to say that Fedora/EPEL + RPM Fusion (kind of) serve a
different user base than Rpmforge/Rpmrepo, as they use different
maintain strategies (especially in the EL space). Thhere are users for
both those maintain strategies and they seems to be happy with it. So
even after a potential merger we would need to split things again to
continue to make both users bases happy.

>> but currently it's not
>> clear what kind of packages get into rpmfusion.
>> - only those packages which can't be added to fedora? ie packages which
>> is acceptable for fedora still can be in rpmfusion?
>> - than which packages?
>>   - kmods (ok it's clear)
>>   - what else?
>> eg: why these packages here rather then fedora:
>> open-vm-tools, xvidcore, x264, gstreamer-plugins-bad, ffmpeg etc
>> it'd be a useful faq or even documented on the start page.
> [...]
> Please read (have you heard of google?!) before asking stupid questions on
> mailing lists (this goes for fedora-devel-list as well).

Well, nevertheless Farkas IMHO has a (slightly hidden) point: Merging
the repos was (kind of) the main goal up to now, but now that it
happened it's not important anymore; especially in some months it's just
history and doesn't help new users to understand what RPM Fusion is
about. So we IMHO really needs to get that of the front page and get
some informations there that helps new users that haven't ever heard of
RPM Fusion / Dribble / Freshrpms / Livna up to now. A wiki front page
that looks a bit nicer/more professional would be nice as well.

Just my 2 cent.