package review: Is it a must to use system libraries ?

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 22:09:00 CET 2008

David Juran pisze:

> The fedora packaging guidelines are quite clear on this point,
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Duplication_of_system_libraries IMHO, this is a very good principle and should apply to rpmfusion as well.
>
>> Is the fact that bsnes uses patched snes_ntsc, and that the said patch
>> is not necessarily compatible with other apps using the lib a good
>> enough reason?
>
> Without knowing any details of the particulars, it seems we really are
> talking about a fork here. So what the question boils down to, are the
> patches to snes_ntsc really incompatible or can they be pushed upstream?
> And if they can't be pushed upstream, is the fork well-maintained and of
> quality enough to merit it to be included in rpmfusion?
>
> /David

I'm not an expert here by any means, so I'll just sum up what we know.
David Timms checked what the differences are, and found out the
following (quoting the bugzilla comment).
So the actual diffs are minimal:
- change the bpp from 16 to 32
- set the output type to BRG15
- modify the actual video processing algorithm
byuu, bsnes author, said the following [1]:
Second, I don't think ZSNES uses BGR15 internal mode. So you probably
won't be able to use the system snes_ntsc library.
I also highly doubt the ”fork” will be maintained anywhere else apart
from inside bsnes itself.

Regards,
Julian

[1] http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=182235#182235