nVidia drivers: series introduction, upgrade, deletion.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Oct 11 16:15:57 CEST 2008

On 11.10.2008 15:45, Stewart Adam wrote:
> +1 for all of what you mentioned. We should definitely plan the "official"
> channel of communication for users, maybe a News page on the Wiki?

We likely need an announce mailing list sooner or later. Page in the
wiki would be nice as well. Or a kind of official blog maybe?

> I don't think it's possible [1] to have a 100% smooth upgrade path for
> users,

Then don't ship 177 for F9 at all. F10 is near and those people that
always want the latest and greatest drivers will switch over to it
immediately anyway. I more and more think that's the best plan for
nearly everyone, as it's easy doesn't require much work! And note, it's
pretty normal on other distros and sometimes even in Fedora (look at the
hplip drivers) to not update to the latest version in a stable release.
The 177 drivers from nvidia are worse, F10 is near, so just wait a bit
and everything gets sorted out easily.

> but this way is the best way to minimize it as much as possible.

I think regressions should be avoided at all cost on a stable release.
Just like it is in kernel-development.

> One thing
> for the sake of consistency though, I think we should rename
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest to xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-177 and make
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest a metapackage which requires 177.

I've thought about that as well. I'm not 100% sure if that#s a good
idea, but I suppose it is and say it's worth trying.