First steps of the transition from Livna to RPM Fusion begins now for livna-devel users!

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Thu Oct 16 16:38:38 CEST 2008

Am Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:01:38 +0200
schrieb Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com>:

> hi,
>
> > >   * having libdvdcvs in one of our repos could lead to
> > > projects or cooperation's not to mention or link to us.
> > > That's not limited to Fedora or Red Hat; also some
> > > journalists and howto-writers will also chose to *not*
> > > mention RPM Fusion and thus not link to us, as it might be
> > > to dangerous in some countries
> >
> > I can just endorse that...
> >
> > For me as an author of a German Fedora blog, I am always
> > having mixed emotions about Livna. On the one hand, it's
> > undoubtedly an important repository for Fedora. On the other
> > hand, I am not allowed to mention it because this could
> > indirectly be illegal advertising for a copy protection
> > remover, which can be punished with up to one year of prison
> > in Germany. I know that other German Fedora authors are
> > thinking the same about that. Livna is "that certain
> > repository" with sweet content, but also with a bad smell.
>
> this is a really bad attitude, and I'm sad to hear that from
> you :-(

Don't dictate other people from other countries what they should think
and what they fear.

> basically, you have two options: the gutless way or the brave way
>
> the first one is to write about it in a way which cannot be seen
> in violation of the law in any way

The problem here is that a famous german news site was condemned just
because they linked in a news story to the website of a similar product
as libdvdcss (AFAIR). So the best thing would be to not provide
libdvdcss in RPMFusion.

> the second is not to equivocate and try to find *a lot of*
> supporters - they cannot imprison the whole nation ... being
> selected as the one deterrent case surely is not pleasant, but
> remember, if there weren't the braves in America ready to put
> their lives, the negros - sorry, "afroamericans" - there would
> be slaves still ... so a year in prison in the worst case does
> not sound that bad as a active resistance against being put into
> this new age digital "slavery"

Sorry, but that's stupid. No one is dying because of not being able to
install libdvdcss through rpmfusion. libdvdcss is just not important
enough to ruin my life for it (when being imprisoned or being sentenced
to pay a lot of money, hell, don't even to get the money for a
lawsuit). libdvdcss is just not important enough to demand on the
freedom of speech and the freedom of press (especially for a single
person).
The law to forbid libdvdcss may be stupid, but RPMFusion or Richard's
blog isn't the right place to fight against this law.

> but if you do nothing, just bend your back and pretend that the
> problem does not exist, that is the nearly worst you can do -
> what is really worst is when you force others not to keep their
> freedom just for you comfort not having to deal with that
> problem

As said above, don't dictate other people what they should do.
Thanks.

Sebastian