Import plans for freshrpms packages; please review!

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Oct 17 11:04:27 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry for still being so absent... :-(

Following Hans' comment, a few more :

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote :

> Hi!
>
> I took a closer look at the list of freshrpms packages that have been in
> in freshrpms only up to now (and not in dribble or livna).  Find the
> list below. If nobody complains it'll likely start this weekend (e.g.
> quite soon!) to import all those packages to RPM Fusion's CVS that are
> marked as "import" in below list. Please yell if there are good reasons
> not to import certain packages from that list. tia!
>
> Cu
> knurd
>
> --
>
> acx100-firmware
> -> Still needed/wanted? Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge
>
> acx111-firmware
> -> Still needed/wanted? Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge

Only useful with the kernel module that requires them. I haven't had to
deal with any card requiring it recently, so I don't know if this is
still current. I'd suggest not importing.

> advancescan
> -> import

This is so old that I wouldn't import it either. I doubt it still works
with recent MAME romsets.

> armagetronad
> -> Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge, but import
> nevertheless (see next line)
>
> armagetronad-moviepack
> -> import (as it is on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge)

As Hans wrote : Already in Fedora for the game itself, and the
moviepack has artwork directly taken from the movie... it's "cool", but
presents a legal issue for sure.

> BasiliskII
> -> import

One to import! :-)

> dvd95
> -> Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge, but import
> nevertheless as relative new and up2date

More recent than the InitialPackageMerge update, can be imported.

> elisa-plugins-ugly -> Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge,
> but import nevertheless as relative new and up2date

Required by the future elisa update in Fedora (still pending...).

> flvtool2
> -> import

Another easy import!

> gmameui ->   Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge, but import
> nevertheless as relative new and up2date

A revived MAME GUI, can be imported and updated too.

> gocr
> -> Still needed/wanted? Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge

I don't have much interest in maintaining it. If someone wants to have
a look...

> gstreamer-pitfdll
> -> Hans?

I think that this one is mostly obsolete. The gstreamer-ffmpeg package
supports most (all?) of the formats this one supported. I wouldn't
import it.

> gxmame
> -> import

Dead, replaced by gmameui (see above). Don't import.

> hardlink++
> -> Still needed/wanted? Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge

Could be in Fedora itself, the same author rewrote it as hardlinkpy, so
I wouldn't import it.

> mac
> -> import

I don't have much interest in maintaining this. It's a requirement of
some other multimedia packages IIRC.

> mmsrip
> ->  import
>
> mimms
> -> import

Sure to both.

> perl-*

Those are probably all requirements of dvdrip that could go into Fedora.

> pidgin-encryption
> -> Still needed/wanted? Not on http://rpmfusion.org/InitialPackageMerge

Have used it a bit a while back. Not sure if it still works fine with
the latest pidgin.

> rar
> -> import

Beware, this is a proprietary shareware.

> rte
> -> import

Real Time Encoding library. IIRC, required by zapping (a TV program).
If nothing currently requires it, possibly not worth importing.

> vobcopy
> -> import
>
> SheepShaver
> -> import

These two are useful.

> snes9express
> -> import

This one was having problems with the latest Fedora releases. Someone
should check if it still works fine.

> snes9x
> -> import

Nice little emulator, sure.

> thoggen ->
> import
>
> torrentzip
> -> import

These two are useful.

> vstream-client
> -> import

This was a requirement of some other program. Possibly not needed
anymore.

> xmame
> -> import
>
> xmame-roms
> ->  import

Please don't import these! The last xmame release is quite old, it's
unmaintained. sdlmame is the way to go now, I'm sure Hans will agree :-)

> xmms-aac
> -> import
>
> xmms-wma
> -> import

Hmmm, gtk1 xmms should die. This is only encouraging it to stick
around ;-)

> xplanet-maps
> -> import

If the latest xplanet works fine with it.

> xvid4conf
> -> import

This one is useful.

> vobcopy
> -> import

This one was already listed earlier ;-)

Matthias

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux kernel 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64
Load : 0.48 0.30 0.25