New contributor - hello, and looking for sponsorship!

Chris Nolan chris at cenolan.com
Thu Oct 23 18:56:15 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking to become involved as a package maintainer at
rpmfusion/livna. I haven't previously submitted packages to Fedora so
I'll be looking for a sponsor - I know you guys are busy with the
migration to rpmfusion but I'm hopeful someone can spend some time with
a new contributor. Initially I'd like to submit a new package: the new
Broadcom drivers kernel module that does away with requiring ndiswrapper
for those chipsets unsupported by b43. I have used this driver on F9 and
it works beautifully so IMO it would be a great addition to rpmfusion/livna.

Here's a bit about my background:

By day I'm a systems admin looking after OS X server and workstations as
well as a handful of Linux servers including YDL 6 and RHEL. I'm also a
PHP/MySQL developer and a server admin on a couple of CentOS 5.x boxes.
As a hobbyist I love Fedora and I've spent many many hours helping to
make it work properly on MacBooks (I don't like OS X!).

My experience of creating RPMs is largely limited to patching and
rebuilding existing SRPMs - I have done this a lot with packages ranging
from kernels to gstreamer, synaptics, openoffice etc. I have never built
my own RPMs "from scratch" but I'm confident in my ability and I've read
and largely absorbed the Fedora Packaging Guidelines.

So, as I said, I'd really like to see the new Broadcom kernel module
make it into a mainstream repo such as rpmfusion/livna and I'm happy to
take this on. I've already gone as far as finding the patches to make
the module build properly on F9 and have written a how-to that covers
this topic
(http://www.cenolan.com/2008/10/installing-the-broadcom-sta-driver-fedora-9/).
I haven't yet turned this into an RPM (probably can't get time to do it
until after this weekend).

Please let me know what should be my next steps (I've got a rpmfusion
bugzilla account) and I'd be really grateful if a sponsor was willing to
spend a little time with me on the finer points of RPM building. I'll
try to make myself available on this list and in the IRC rooms (cnolan).

All the best
Chris