When to move updates from testing to stable (was: Re: Move packages from testing to stable repos for F8 and F9)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Oct 29 20:03:49 CET 2008

Hi!

Seems a lot of people missed below part of a mail that I send to this
list a few days ago. At least nobody answered, which I think is a bit
astounding, as it's afaics a delicate topic...

So here is is again with a slightly different mail subject:

On 27.10.2008 18:21, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Which BTW brings us to the question: how do we want to handle "testing"
> in the future?
>
> The push scripts by default push everything to testing. That is IMHO a
> good thing to do as default. But when to move packages to the proper
> repos? Simply one week later by default? That would not be that hard to
> do afaics.
>
> Please note the "default" in above para. There are a lot of cases where
> doing it differently makes sense; just two of them
>
> -  if the maintainer has good reasons for moving a package more quickly
> or more slowly
>
> - if there are interdeps with Fedora packages that packages will get
> pushed or moved to the proper repos in sync if possible.

Note that I moved all the package to the stable repos yesterday, hence
all new packages from now on already get into the testing repos.

Cu