ffmpeg in devel: to bump or not to bump

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Sep 14 16:06:21 CEST 2008

On 14.09.2008 14:09, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Apparently I haven't been communicating my intentions widely enough, so
> I'll try starting a thread here for a change. ;)

Many thx for that.

> Anyway, I'm sorry to bother packagers of ffmpeg-dependent software,
> but I'd like to upgrade to a post-20080908 snapshot in a few weeks.

I'd be interested in a more exact definition for "a few weeks".

Fedora has a feature freeze for a good reason and I'd say that we
should have one to. But I suppose a few weeks (3 to 4) before the Fedora
release in question is published should do the trick for most of out stuff.

But I'm wondering if especially ffmpeg should be one of the exceptions
for that "most" and have a *longer* freeze, as ffmpeg is a quite crucial
package. And not only that, it sometimes takes weeks until all the
maintainers got around to rebuild and/or fix their packages for changes
in ffmpeg. Take for example libdlna, which sill doesn't find the ffmpeg
headers in their new location and thus hasn't been build yet for RPM
Fusion because nobody did the necessary steps to make it compile with
current ffmpeg.

(Build log for libdlna,

http://buildsys.rpmfusion.org/logs/fedora-development-rpmfusion_free/647-libdlna-0.2.3-7.fc10/x86_64/build.log

this patches might help:
http://hg.geexbox.org/libdlna/rev/3936f48815d0
http://hg.geexbox.org/libdlna/rev/4bb2327af7b8

Pointed package owner to them in private yesterday; no response yet)

> ffmpeg SVN r15262 introduced a bump to major libavcodec version, so
> all dependent packages will need a rebuild. The last time this has
> happened was in r4726, over 2 and a half years ago. There are some
> API changes going on right now so I'm not going to do it just yet.

Just to be sure: You said "need a rebuild" and "API changes" in above
para. Thus the apps that use ffmpeg not only need adjustments for the
new ffmpeg but also code changes?