Suggestion to simplify initial kmod-nvidia install (w/script correction)

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:52:41 CET 2009

2009/12/2 Adam Williamson <adamwill at shaw.ca>:
> On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 22:52 +0100, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
>
>> > Isn't adding rdblacklist=nouveau to grub.conf less intrusive?
>> not, the nouveau kms remains loaded and leave things in the unsafe random side.
>> That might work for your hardware/usage , it will not work for others...
>> So that's even do not worth to be documented.
>
> Are you sure? The combination of rdblacklist kernel parameter and
> blacklist directive in /etc/modprobe.d should prevent the module being
> loaded at all even if it's present in the initramfs. Have you tried
> rdblacklist? It's a dracut parameter which should prevent the module
> specified from being loaded from the initramfs.
I'm not sure at all, nor have done tests. But I think I saw that
nouveau still remain loaded. if other options are used on the grub
line.
Having the nouveau.ko still present in the initramfs leave things in
the unsafe side for those who only want to use nvidia. But on the
other hand, if only rdblacklist=nouveau,radeon is needed to prevent
conflicts with closed source drivers and to avoid to rebuild the
initramfs, that will help.

Then using /etc/modprobe.d/ for blacklist or not can be deceided if
users want to keep the capability to switch between FOSS or closed
drivers. (so KMS drivers could be enabled by a grub, entry duplicated
for each given kernel).

> BTW, I believe the canonical way to derive the current release version
> is to parse /etc/redhat-release , which is part of the fedora-release
> package.
Using /etc/system-release would be even better. But in this case, I
guess it will be easier to pick dracut style if the dracut binary is
available on the system.