RPM Fusion for EL (Was: Re: Supporting Moblin?)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Dec 14 20:34:19 CET 2009

On 01.12.2009 22:44, Jack Neely wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:30:28AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Michel Alexandre Salim wrote on 25.11.2009 02:33:
>>> We've so far provided add-on packages for Fedora and RHEL;
>>
>> Nope, the latter was never really started and interest in it seems quite
>> low -- I likely sooner or later will suggest we drop it completely if
>> nobody steps up and feels responsible for it/takes care of it:
>> http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2009-February/004058.html
>>> [...]
> I'll state that I'm interested in EL support from RPMFusion.  I'm
> planning on having some time toward this spring to work about getting
> some of the commonly used kernel modules my shop depends on for RHEL 6
> well maintained in RPMFusion.

Sounds lame, but those that want to do it simply should start doing it,
otherwise RPM Fusion for EL afaics will fail before it even started for
real :-/

IOW: There is nobody that will tell you "Yes, you have the job"; It's
more "just do it"

IOW afain ;-) Just start doing some work to make RPM Fusion for EL
solid. Some ideas to start working:

- check if all the deps in the current EL repo are satisfied and poke
package maintainers to fix it if not
- check if everything is working, if not, poke maintainers
- check if all the important packages people often want are in the EL repo
- owners.epel.list in our CVS is afaics not sully up2date
- work towards officially announcing RPM Fusion support for EL

I's not my decision alone, but I'd be willing to hand someone the
signing keys for the EL repo, in case that someone

- works on above list for at least a few weeks and thus shows he
committed to the "job"
- seems trust-able (e.g. ideally someone that is known in Fedora-land
already and not something new coming out of the blue)
- got access to the push server (which is something the Admins will have
to work out)

Cu