[RPM Fusion] Update of "Goals" by AndreaMusuruane

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Feb 24 18:18:54 CET 2009

On 23.02.2009 12:12, RPM Fusion Wiki wrote:
> The following page has been changed by AndreaMusuruane:
> http://rpmfusion.org/Goals?action=diff&rev1=7&rev2=8
 > [...]

Andrea, thx for your comments and enhancements. Much appreciated.

One general remark: I guess we should try to keep the page itself
discussion free once we finish it.

>   === Ideas nobody is working on ===
>
> + [musuruan: is it feasible to have some of these ideas as GSoC?]

I'm not really familiar with GSoC, but I doubt that it'll work when we
do it directly. Maybe it's easier and better if it could be done as GSoC
projects done in Fedora. But I'm not sure if Fedora would be willing to
do something like that.

>   ==== Installer ====
>
>   A small helper app that enables RPM Fusion (and other repos?) and does the initial configuration (e.g. install xine-lib-extras-nonfree if xine-lib was found to be installed earlier).
> @@ -96, +98 @@
>

>   Another small app (either tied into or separate of the install helper?) could things similar to the one jockey does in ubuntu (see
>   https://launchpad.net/jockey and http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/screenshots/jockey/ ). Firewing1 is thinking about doing something like this already, which should make the "users don't know which graphics driver to choose" part easier. But the goal should remain: make things "just work", so no configuration options if they are not strictly needed
> +
> + [musuruan: instead of writing something from scratch cannot we use Jockey? It is designed to be distribution agnostic.]

That is the plan afaik. Sorry, that wasn't really obvious. Fixed now.

>   ==== mirror lag / skip broken by default ====
>
> @@ -115, +119 @@
>

>   ==== improve the docs ====
>
> - There are lots of FAQ, Howto and other docs on the net that describe how to use RPM Fusion; often those are misleading, not fully right, outdated or they disagree with each other; should we try to not only be the unofficial official 3rd party repo for Fedora, but also be the offical 3rd party source for all the docs that can't go straight to Fedora?
> + There are lots of FAQ, Howto and other docs on the net that describe how to use RPM Fusion; often those are misleading, not fully right, outdated or they disagree with each other; should we try to not only be the unofficial official 3rd party repo for Fedora, but also be the official 3rd party source for all the docs that can't go straight to Fedora?
> +
> + [musuruan: can we have a synergy with 3rd party doc sites? Fedora FAQ and Fedorasolved comes to my mind.]

Yes, maybe that would be a good idea.

>    * rpmfusion-buildsys-list is broken;
>
> +  * no announcement mailing list;
> +
> + [musuruan: what is the problem in having one?]

it's the usual problem: Somebody need to sit down and do it/poke the
people with access to the necessary places ;-)

> +
> + [musuruan: can we look for more contributors in the fedora-docs-list?]

Sure.

On 23.02.2009 12:18, RPM Fusion Wiki wrote:
> The following page has been changed by AndreaMusuruane:
> http://rpmfusion.org/Goals?action=diff&rev1=8&rev2=9
>  [...]
> + * we need a place where to host RPM Fusion projects. Something like
> [[https://fedorahosted.org|Fedora Hosted]].

Do we? Why can't we use Fedora Hosted directly? Sure, some of the tools
we need may deal with nonfree software, but I guess all of us want the
tools itself be open source and thus acceptable for Fedora Hosted?