Removing kernel module plugins for yum-utils

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Feb 25 12:16:21 CET 2009

Hi Tim!

One warning: I never looked really much into yum-fedorakmod myself. But
I hope I (or someone else) will find time for it soon, as it could make
things easier with the changes reg. the kernel variants that are planed
for F11:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ArchitectureSupport

E.g. I hope the plugin in the future can sure that the right kmods are
installed when running "yum install kmod-foo" depending on what
kenrel(s) are found on the system (e.g. in case of 32-bit-x86-Fedora
that can he .i586, .x86_64, -PAE.i686 afaics). not sure, but maybe some
support for this already is in yum-fedorakmod.

On 25.02.2009 11:36, Tim Lauridsen wrote:

 > I am investigation the possibilities to remove all kind of kernel module
> plugin from yum-utils. Ex. yum-fedorakmod
>
> As far as I can see they should not be necessary with the current
> kernel-modules in rpmfusion.

Correct, for normal updating it's not needed. Everything will just work
normally if kmods and kernel are pushed at the same time and if yum uses
up2date mirrors.

But some people don't want to get new kernel installed if new kmods are
not yet available (or vice versa). yum-fedorakmod iirc can do that and
so partly solves the problems outlined in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00041.html
(the problem isn't getting solved for other packages like xine-lib and
xine-lib-extras-nonfree). I never tried if that works these days, but I
suppose it does.

> they even make troubles in some cases.

Well, there was a bug and that's fixed in head afaik.

> If anybody sees any case where the plugins are need the please speak up.

Maybe it would be better to drop it from yum-utils in Fedora and ship it
as separate package in RPM Fusion?