updating x264 and ffmpeg in F-10 (and F-9?)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jan 7 08:37:13 CET 2009

On 07.01.2009 00:20, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> Since the update in rawhide went quite smoothly, I'd like to update
> x264 and FFmpeg in F-10, too (basically backport the version that
> landed in rawhide).

I don't like that idea to much (more below). But that might change a bit
if you give some good reasons why updating to the new x264 and ffmpeg is
a good idea and what benefits users have from it ;-)

> I hope I can build x264 and ffmpeg and keep them in the buildroot,
> but out of updates-testing until all dependent packages are rebuilt,
> just like we did in rawhide.

It needs to be way quicker then it was done or rawhide recently (even in
rawhide it IMHO took to long and made quite some work for me), as I
otherwise go mad with moving things aside to push other packages.

E.g. ideally it needs to be a one-shot that was prepared and fully
compile tested (and basically run-time testing) first somewhere (your
machine?) before the whole bunch of changes are committed and submitted
to the buildsys in the right order.

If something goes wrong then it's no big deal if that is fixed within
two or three days, but it shouldn't take much longer from the initial
x264/ffmpeg build til the packages get pushed to testing.

> I have mixed feelings about updating them in F-9, though.

Same here. it's EOL in 6 to 7 month anyway ;-)