updating x264 and ffmpeg in F-10 (and F-9?)

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:57:50 CET 2009

2009/1/7 Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net>:
> Hi.
>
> Since the update in rawhide went quite smoothly, I'd like to update
> x264 and FFmpeg in F-10, too (basically backport the version that
> landed in rawhide).
I do agree with the general idea, but I want to talk about how/why
this have to be done.

> I hope I can build x264 and ffmpeg and keep them in the buildroot,
> but out of updates-testing until all dependent packages are rebuilt,
> just like we did in rawhide.
For the general case of ffmpeg updates, I would say that the related
maintainer to do the commits and tag.Then you should be able to
request build one after the other so it will not miss a package to
build, that will, somehow, fake the chainbuild we miss.
We just need to fix a date for this.

About the F-10 case, I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to wait for a
2.6.28 kernel update.
There are sometime strange issues when such major kernel update
appears, that may be fixed by a rebuild.

>From the ffmpeg feature side, I would wait a little more time also for
vdpau, which have just been merged in ffmpeg I was said; unless the
vdpau merge broke the ABI again (which would be a reason to backport
the current rawhide ffmpeg in F-10, so we can start working on the new
API/ABI in rawhide).
>From the nvidia driver side, we just have 180.22 in the stable tubes
(which features vdpau).
This driver is requested from the KDE4 users among others; and  will
be updated from F9 to Rawhide. Nevertheless, vdpau should be available
at least during the F10 lifetime, IMO.

> I have mixed feelings about updating them in F-9, though.
I think it will be easier to only plays with one (or at least few)
ffmpeg/x264/etc API.
That's what would be rational from a packager point of view
The same question will appears with the EL-5 version: It will be
harder to introduce new packages on EL-5 when the ffmpeg API will get
old. (and not all projects keeps the conditionals accurate for a given
ffmpeg API).

I would also consider how much feedback we got from our Rawhiders ?
How desired is the update from our current stable user base ?
(if ever end-users can know what is good for them !).