Custom patched kernels in RPMFusion

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 9 02:17:04 CET 2009

Felix Kaechele wrote:
> I already shared my idea of providing custom patched kernels in
> RPMFusion with Thorsten and he said that it would be an interesting
> thing to do. But I also, of course, want to know the opinion of the
> other contributors as this is a decision that should be made by not only
> a few people.

Some concerns I have:
* Some people will want to have more than one patch, so having separate
kernels with the separate patches won't make everyone happy, but patches
are often incompatible (or at least apparently incompatible, needing manual
merging), so making a single kernel with all the patches isn't going to
scale.
* What about kmods? Building those for all the patched kernels will quickly
lead to an explosion of kmods.

        Kevin Kofler