How to handle libgambatte soname?

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:24:00 CET 2009

Hi all,
    upstream has recently released gambatte v0.4.1.

While showing differences between v0.4.0 and v0.4.1, it seems to me
that the public interface of libgambatte changed. Therefore I need to
bump the soname.

Upstream doesn't provide a soname, so when I submitted v0.4.0 for
review I added it as libgambatte.so.0; libgambatte.so.0.4.0 and
libgambatte.so (in the devel package) are symlinks for
libgambatte.so.0. Now I don't know if I did the right thing in
providing a soname that doesn't match the version.

How would you handle it?

Spec file (of v0.4.0) is available here:
http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms/gambatte/devel/gambatte.spec?revision=1.1&root=free&view=markup

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bye,

Andrea.