Where we are and where do we what to go?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 26 20:22:02 CET 2009

On 26.01.2009 17:49, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
>> But how to we get people to merge their repos into RPM Fusion? Especially
>> the popular ones like Planet CCRMA?
> IIRC Planet CCRMA is/was merging with Fedora.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AudioCreation

I know, but I thought there were some packages in Planet CCRMA that
might not be acceptable for Fedora.

> [...]
> IMHO this is not the main problem with other repositories not joining
> RPM Fusion. Some packagers don't want to learn/use Fedora guidelines.
> Some others use Fedora guidelines but do not want to cooperate with a
> (much bigger) project because they just want to mind their own
> business. Some others are willing to cooperate but they think that the
> infrastructure we and Fedora have is too complicated. In all these
> cases, they end up building their own repository.

Well, you point out some of the reasons why I brought the idea with the
staging repo up a few weeks ago: Have a repo where the review hurdle is
a lot lower.

> So, how can we attract other 3rd party repositories?

Make things as easy as possible for them. Lowering the review burden
likely is the most important point here.

> [...]
> BTW, which repositories have been invited in the past? I remember to
> have contacted Bruno Postle and he joined.

I once asked gemi, but he iirc would prefer to see others taking his
packages and bringing them to Fedora or RPM Fusion (that's the long
story very short and roughly without the details).

>> Like the one I started a few months ago? It wasn't used much yet
>> http://rpmfusion.org/News
> We should ask Chris Nolan about this. The solution was ready. I think
> the only problem he still had was about the domain/certificate to use.

Yeah, Ohoh: I doubt that the planet will work, as the wiki page (which
is easier to deal with) failed already.