ati driver status?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:51:55 CET 2009

2009/1/30 Stewart Adam <maillist at diffingo.com>:
> On 1/29/09 11:43 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
>>
>> It seems ati drivers are stalled in testing?
>>
>> I'm thinking of building a new home media server, and wondering what to
>> put in
>> it.  I was thinking amd is now more linux friendly, and would be a good
>> choice.  The fact that the driver seems stalled in rpmfusion worries me.
>>
> It's not stalled, but it won't work without manual user interaction
Because you have removed the blacklist-radeon scripts !!!

On hardware where radeon is "working" (or at least ,radeon detects the
hardware).
the plymouth boot have made the radeon drm loading within the kernel image.
For that reason the initrd needs to be regenerated: (without radeon.ko
and drm.ko in it)
(using mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

That's been said with the 8.12 release, there is a need for a
workaround for the nodes creation
/etc/udev/makedev.d/40-fgrlx-dri.nodes:
dri/card0
dri/card1
dri/card2
dri/card3
I think this file is created once the fglrx driver is loaded. which
means that we have a circle dependency, because we need to regenerate
the kernel image without the radeon loaded to have fglrx to "load",
but regenerate again to have the script included in the initrd image
to have fglrx to "work".
(This seems needed : "On special Hardware (TM)" )

If we have the files hardcoded we could avoid this very annoying steps
but it will make the switch fro driver to another more difficult.
That's not the way we want.

So a more interesting way would be to have another experimental
package, named fglrx-bootstrap (or else)
that will bundle theses scripts in an hardcoded way (still they could
be edited by r-c-d) and have the initrd image regenerated
accordingly...
But for now the switch remains messy... (and isn't meant to be fixable easily)

> (regeneration of initrd images) so we're keeping it there for now. I'm going
> to test 9-1 this weekend and see what's improved (or what hasn't :/)
I've already uploaded the new ATI 9.1 binary driver, will do some
investagation for few time right now.