Current status of xorg-x11-drv-fglrx, xorg-x11-drv-catalyst

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Wed May 6 21:38:40 CEST 2009

Hi,

Sorry about the late message, I realize that kernel 2.6.29 is about to
hit stable very soon...

The current versions of the ATI drivers (version 9.3 for R200-R550 and
9.4 for R600+) do not support kernel 2.6.29 and although a community
patch is available, it has been reported to cause system instability on
some cards and it can also potentially cause DoS because a log message
problem. Because of this, I'm going to skip building fglrx for 2.6.29 -
if you have kmod-fglrx installed and you're having some problems with
yum, please exclude kmod-fglrx from the system updates for now and stay
with 2.6.27.

Also, because Catalyst 9.3 is incompatible with Xserver 1.6 used in
Fedora 11 and AMD has said they will no longer provide updates for the
legacy driver, I'm not going to build xorg-x11-drv-fglrx for Fedora 11.
If you have a R200-R500 generation card, please stay with F-10 or F-9 or
alternatively update to F-11 but switch to the open (radeon/radeonhd)
Xorg drivers.

Lastly, I also wanted to mention that a new driver series is being
introduced soon: xorg-x11-drv-catalyst/kmod-catalyst.
xorg-x11-drv-catalyst going to be for the AMD Catalyst Driver version
9.4 and upwards (which no longer has support for R500 generation cards
and below). It currently will only work on kernel 2.6.27/2.6.28 due to
the problems mentioned above, but hopefully Catalyst 9.5 will bring
2.6.29 support at which I'll submit kmod builds as usual.

Stewart