HandBrake in rpmfusion? (continued from bug #679)

Justin eqisow at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 05:01:17 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Bernard Johnson <bj80421 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Corrected the bug # to 679.
>
> On 11/15/2009 05:30 PM, Justin wrote:
>>
>> 2. HandBrake uses customized versions of a lot of libraries, which they
>> bundle.
>
> Customized "handful" (8) is more appropriate, however, they bundle others
> (12) that are not changed from the original sources, some not even required
> for Linux platform.
>
>> Current choices are:
>> 1. Package it with all bundled libs (against policy)
>> 2. Package it the way we want because we can
>> 3. Don't package it
>
> Or
>
> 4. Create an "iceweasel"
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project)
> that is completely unassociated with the HandBrake project.  Essentially a
> fork that would realign to the releases only when we want, and it would not
> be obvious to end users that they could seek support from HandBrake team.
>
> I don't like this idea too much, but it would relieve the support issues.
>
>> So, whether that ends up being option one or two, we
>> should do it the way we think is best and they can deal.
>
> If they want nothing to do with a packaged product, then they should
> probably be cut completely from the loop - ie. #4.
>
> We'd have to make changes to the help to not use their wiki (maybe a capture
> of the wiki in static html format?).
>
> Otherwise, things like "your wiki says click widget A but I don't have a
> widget A" will probably be answered with something like "ask the idiots who
> packaged it".  It would not reflect well on the HandBrake developers or
> rpmfusion packagers.
>
>> If we're feeling extra nice we could add a note about it being
>> unofficial and unsupported by the HandBrake team, maybe even with a
>> pointer to their version.
>
> If packaged at all, I think that would be a requirement.
>
> Regardless of the route taken, these are the currently unfinished items
> (which will be impacted by any decision).
> 1. Remove version update checking.
> 2. Propagate buildsys flags at compile time to any bundled libraries
> 3. Repository branding (ie. version 0.9.4-1-rpmfusion) for GUI & activity
> log
> 4. Solution for Help->Guide pointing to the HandBrake wiki
> 5. Possibly a bug reporting GUI entry that says it's not supported by
> HandBrake team

The biggest problem with renaming it, imo, is that a lot of users will
be looking for "HandBrake" specifically and may not know. This is
especially true because HandBrake is not nearly as ubiquitous as
Firefox. That was big news and something that got around quickly. I
don't think this will be.

Other than that, I think I already said somewhere that you were way
nicer than me. :)