kmod-nvidia didn't make it into F12 repos?

Adam Williamson adamwill at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 21 00:06:27 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 17:10 -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 November 2009 04:21:40 pm Chris Nolan wrote:
> > A few people (me included) are wondering what has happened to
> > kmod-nvidia in F12? Did it get missed somehow or is there a problem with
> >  it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris
>
> If you read the announcement email, they are in updates-testing because some
> sort of manual step is required.

Some notes on this.

So, it seems the manual steps required are a) rebuild the initramfs -
I'm assuming the nvidia packages somehow configure things so that
nouveau doesn't get pulled into the initramfs any more and b) change
SELinux configuration to disable executable stack protection.

on b), a clean F12 install has these relevant SELinux settings:

allow_execheap --> off
allow_execmem --> on
allow_execmod --> off
allow_execstack --> off

so if execmem is enough, it may be OK. if execstack is needed, it isn't.

on a), is there some reason we don't just have the kmod package
re-generate the initramfs when it's first installed? Okay, it's not
particularly elegant, but probably better than making people do it
themselves.

just wanted to keep the ball rolling to see if f12 can be made as smooth
as possible from this perspective. if this discussion is happening
elsewhere, apologies, please point me there...

--
adamw