Suggestion to simplify initial kmod-nvidia install (w/script correction)

Walter Francis wally at theblackmoor.net
Mon Nov 30 19:35:34 CET 2009

> 2009/11/29 Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com>:
>> On Sunday 29 November 2009, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
>>> Thx for the suggestion, this message has been forwared on the "RPM
>>> Fusion developers discussion list" for public audience.
>>> Please answear there instead.(once subscribed).
>>>
>>> Few answears:
>>> - setsebool will not be needed anymore (exept for the nvidia-smi
>>> binary on x86 which is only used for tesla hardware).
>>> - Creating a separate initramfs is probably the way to go. But I
>>> wonder if that could be implemented as a dracut plugin instead, and
>>> then generalised to others alternate proprietary drivers.
>>> - There is improvements needed for a new  packaging scheme that will
>>> split installation and usage for proprietary driver. (it doesn't mean
>>> the driver is installed that the driver is meant to be used).

>> Isn't adding rdblacklist=nouveau to grub.conf less intrusive?
> not, the nouveau kms remains loaded and leave things in the unsafe random
> side.
> That might work for your hardware/usage , it will not work for others...
> So that's even do not worth to be documented.
>
> Nicolas (kwizart)

BTW all, my original email to Kwizart was just basically a suggestion on how
it would be nice to simplify things, with an example of "a way".  It wasn't to
suggest "the way" to do it.  Sounds like you guys have thought it out better
than I have, in terms of a separate selinux package to handle the nvidia kmod
specific rules, etc.  Just look forward to our end users being able to
hopefully just do two steps:  1) install rpmfusion, 2) yum install
[a]kmod-nvidia[-PAE].

--
Walter Francis

khayts.us